Tuesday, September 12, 2017

8 Gallon: Fall of the Empire Update 1

After about 2 weeks we are starting to cycle the tank and we are seeing some good growth on the moss as well as signs of algae. I've added a java fern to fill out the left site of the tank there as well as addressed some issues with the overflow box. I found there is too much evaporation for the slots I had in the overflow. I've redesigned the overflow to allow more water into the box however I'm waiting on more grey filament before I re-print it. In the mean time I've added some additional holes to make it work in the near term. Based on the research I've done it has been suggested to print submerged objects out of PETG instead of PLA as it doesn't absorb water as much and won't degrade as fast. So the new overflow will be printed in PETG but I'm going to leave the spray bar holder as PLA so it will be interesting to see if the spraybar degrades in any meaningful way.

The goal is to have moss and algae covering the star destroyer so I will likely add some more moss to it. I've order some java moss for this and another tank so I'll use some of that.

Now about livestock - I'm not through cycling the aquarium yet but I think I've settled on the tank inhabitants for this tank. I am thinking I'm going to try to get a breading trio of koi guppies. I just recently learned about that coloration and I find it a really interesting color. This is another reason I need more moss in this tank is to provide plenty of places for fry to hide in. Anyway this is the update for this week. Hopefully in the next week or two we will be looking like we are ready for some more livestock.


No comments:

Post a Comment